Thursday, January 24, 2008

Last Post 29th June 2007

True, I have'nt been a faithful blogger over the last few months and so much has happened most of which was begging to be dissected and analyzed amd bitched about. The State of the nation hasn't improved, Hikkaduwa is still my fav holiday destination and Facebook has robbed us of our precious time. But at the urging of fellow bloggers including my friend from The Missing Sandwich (name drop) I have decided to display my inability to spell and my impertinent opinions back online whether it's liked or not.

And so to inaugurate the Return to the blog I would like to start off by pissing off the organisers of 'The Galle Literary Festival", which I have dubbed the most pretentious event that Colombo's and Galle's high society have ever trumped up, to date. In fact it has all the symptoms of an event that was concieved over buttery scones and high tea by people who feel the need for self-importance or a nice picture in the (Hi)gh magazine.

Disclaimer: I have never been to the Galle Literary festtival aka GLF and out of the miniscule amount of people who read my blog I'm sure one or two may be huge fans and supporters of the GLF who may feel that I may be a little too uncultured to critisize such an event without even experiencing it, to which I say "Yes, now eff off".

From the first GLF last year I have been outspoken about the fact that GLF is nothing more than a money making machine not interested really in the propagation of literature and art but more in the propagation of ones image. It's a festival for the rich and literature for the well read. I don't claim to be a genius and connoisseur of words as do some of the people that attened the GLF but I do know how to read and write and I'm sure 95% of the people that turn up for the GLF have that ability as well, it's not everyday an illiterate person can dish out 35 thousand ruppees for an all access pass to the GLF, which is my biggest gripe. With all the impressive sponsors that the event attracts and all the rich people that have a stake in GLF why is it that it's only affordable by the rich. Surely don't international schools have a fairly extensive literature curriculum and aren't international school students exposed to a more spoken english way of life. Then why is it only they can afford going to the GLF. Don't the millions of underpriviledged kids with poor if not severe lack of education deserve to experience the wonders of literature or is it because they may never have the chance to study at Nottingham University or Harvard to really be deemed worthy of knowledge.

For example take blogging, the only reason why blogging has taken the world by storm is because it gives everybody and everyone regardless of color, race or creed the ability to voice their opinions, hopes and dreams without having to be a hot shot published journalist or author, for FREE, of course at the GLF its become a reason to have overpriced sessions on blogging for people who have been blogging since it's inception. What about poor young people in tiny pocket villages who blog from tiny sweat house internet cafe's trying hard to be part of the online community on a budget as tight as my ass-hole? Have sessions as much as you want but does there have to be such a steep price on knowledge and understanding FREE speech.

Why does knowledge have to be so expensive? Wasn't some the greatest authors and playwrites of the previous centuries poorer than church mice with nothing to live for? Did they prance around in their Prado's and GTi horse carraiges?

I think the GLF organisers should realize that if they want to show off how wonderfully philanthropic and dedicated they are to literature then maybe they should make it possible for people from all walks of life be it rich or poor to be able to enjoy literature and knowledge equally instead of trying to teach rich people how to suck eggs.

Remember the fall from a high horse is a long one and will freakin hurt at the end.

12 comments:

Jack Point said...

Get your facts right.

The pass was 10,000 which covered most events over 4 days.

Individual event tickets were 800/- and there were free events.

You can always attend this other lit festival if you want to:

http://www.cultural.gov.lk/news/artfestival.htm

Nigel said...

Point taken....

But it doesn't change anything, even Rs. 2500/- a day, plus traveling, plus accommodation, plus meals would be quite a stretch for people poorer than me and maybe you.

Do I think it should be a free event? Yes I think so. With the sort of backing GLF has I doubt it would be hard to make it free for all public students and teachers for example.

From what I hear (and in all honesty I talk about what I hear in random conversations so my facts may be off a bit by the experience is real) even things like dinners that were charged quite a bit for was utter tosh.

And while I type this I'm looking at the link you've given me to which I say you snobbish bastard it just goes to prove my point - "Don't the millions of underprivileged kids with poor if not severe lack of education deserve to experience the wonders of literature or is it because they may never have the chance to study at Nottingham University or Harvard to really be deemed worthy of knowledge." - if they can't afford it then they don't deserve it instead send them to www.cultural.gov.lk/news/artfestival.htm a cheap ass government art festival. Is it because the words of Shobha De and the Sansoni's are too precious for the ears of the common man and all they deserve is a speech by the Secretary to the Ministry of Cultural Affairs and National Heritage, Mr. G.L.W.Samarasinghe??????

Really it's that sort of attitude that will have you up against the wall when the revolution comes....or don't you read.

Of course if you sent the link to be sarcastic then.....yawn.....

Anonymous said...

ur right nigel, post is spot on.

it's waht i tried to express in my comments here too...

http://blacklightarrow.wordpress.com/2008/01/21/snapshots-of-the-galle-lit-1-bloggers-take-themselves-way-too-seriously/

Jack Point said...

Literature and the arts are pretty elitist, in the sense that they are generally appreciated only by a few. The few need not necessarily be the rich few, but they are a fairly small minority.

Let me give you my experience of the festival.

I had not read the books of any of the authors featured, so I felt that much of what would be going on would be over my head, which is why I decided to sample the festival, by going a few free events.

I liked what I saw and I think I learned a bit, so at least one yakko came away slightly enlightened. The parties were pretty good, and I will go back for a bit more next year(if it is on again) and maybe pay for a couple of events and perhaps even try to read a book or two beforehand.

Was there too much of the parties and too little literature? Perhaps, but I would prefer the more relaxed approach to being intimidated by too hiogh a level of discussion.

Nigel said...

Let me be clear I'm not knocking the festival or what went on at the festival and if I didn't feel so strongly about the pretentiousness of the organizers then I would probably attend myself and yes those who appreciate literature are a small few they but they don't all live in Colombo or Galle and not all of them are rich enough to attend, that's my gripe. But again GLF as a festival is a good thing. It's a great idea badly executed.

Jack Point said...

Ok, point taken.

Pax.

By teh way, why does google have a content warning on your blog?

Unknown said...

Sour grapes?
anyway most is true I acknowledge.
By the way google has a content advisory on your blog!

Nigel said...

Ha ha ha I'm an evil person so people have to be warned of the dangers of what they might read.

But in all fairness my language is quite colorful and some of my topics may be adult driven so to be a good online citizen I enabled the disclaimer feature.

Anonymous said...

Jack Point - I know the day pass for 4 days was on 10k, but when you take all the events one could go for into consideration literary luncheons, workshops et al... at 5000 for the luncheons, 1500 for the workshops...

Anonymous said...

Blogger.com has slapped an objectionable content warning on your blog.

I encountered it when I clicked on the link on themissingsandwich's blog and got this warning:

Content Warning

Some readers of this blog have contacted Google because they believe this blog's content is objectionable. In general, Google does not review nor do we endorse the content of this or any blog. For more information about our content policies, please visit the Blogger Terms of Service


I understand and I wish to continue




I do not wish to continue





This is what the page looks like

You might want to clear the situation with blogger.com

Nigel said...

Hey Cerno, thanks for the heads up but I've enabled the CONTENT WARNING option since language and occasional subject matter may be objectional especially to younger bloggers. I'm also against selling ciggarettes to anyone under 18. : )

Anonymous said...

Relieved to hear that :)

I wish blogger.com had a better notice option for you.

When I read
Some readers of this blog have contacted Google because they believe this blog's content is objectionable... I thought it was blogger.com clamping down on you due to a complaint.

The way you said it your comment may is much more clearer.

Not that I'm telling you how to run you blog ;) - just an outsider's opinion.