Saturday, May 27, 2006

A Tasty Chunk of Lamb

WHo out there are Lamb Fans????? (not the meat, the muscians known as lamb). I got into Lamb while I was working at TNL Radio. Here I was, doing my show the Art of Noise when I dropped a track that was on my playlist called Gorecki by Lamb. I was hooked and continued my search for more lamb which resulted in the finding of odd singles like Gabriel on Cafe Del Mar compilations (which at the time was so avante garde people were rushing to buy Cafe Del Mar's like they were going out of fashion{which they eventually did}). But Lamb stuck around and released a single called Sweet - Soulchild radio mix which was a massive change to their usual dark brooding soulful stuff, which suprised me. Finally I was given a cd from Singapore called Lamb - Best Kept Secrets and boy did it blow my mind, the finest offerings of Lamb all on one cd, showcasing unbeliveable sounds and lyrics. Fast forward to yesterday, my mate Ka2 and I were crusing around on a wet Saturday evening wondering what to do when we decided to hit Vibrations (God I would so love to hit the guys working there as well, freeking monkeys who listen to Yanni, Yeach) to look for some fresh tunes, I was specifically looking for Mattafix a new band whose sound I've been digging for a couple of months, I asked one of the formatted drones who was lolling around if they had the album and he said no but told me they had the latest Britney Spears album with remixes from some dodgy fool who missed the evolutionary jump (wrist slashing moment as I pondered what had just been offered to me). I then asked the formatted drone to sit down and stay the hell away from me, he seemed confused but obviously knew the command 'sit down'. Having established there's no intelligence on Planet Vibrations I proceeded to flip through the Jazz section, Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis, Kenny G!!?????, Funk Jazz Quartet, Verve Remixed 3, Verve Unmixed 2 & 3, HOLD THE PHONE!!!! right at the back chucked with disdain was a single, lonely double album calling out to be taken home and held lovingly in the tray of a high end, high definition Marantz cd player, Lamb Remixed.
My heart gave a jump, leap, sommersault, pole vault, got stuck in my throat and my brain was screaming BUY BUY!!!!!, done deal. I did a quick scan at the back, which displayed names like Kruder & Dorfmeister, Rae & Christian, Photek, Andy Votel, Tom Middleton etc. etc. As soon as I got home, you can imagine what happened, plastic wrap ripped off, cd player switched on, sparked up the Creatives and let the music ride. I loved it, every single moment of it (ok, maybe except for one). There's a lot of deep drum n bass wrapped in this compilation, but extremely stylish stuff, there are some disturbing elctro beats that are completely whack and so fantastic. The shittiest moment is a mix by Dead Guys, who, unfortunately not dead enough. Now I will end short to go back to listening to my pick of the month "Lamb Remixed"

6 comments:

SpectralCentroid said...

Dude, thanks for the tip.ood shit. I'm hooked. Downloading like mad.

G said...

I've only actually got 'Gorecki' upstairs - so many people fall in love to that tune!

Don't really rate Rae and Christian or J-Walk though :/

Anonymous said...

Have Lamb's self titled album and its pretty cool. Try underworld as well...kinda have a similar vibe I think. ah Mattafix, can't seem to find the damn album over here in hicksville for a decent price

Nigel said...

Hey all thanks for the comments. Spectralc, also check out Sneaker Pimps - Becoming X album.
S, yes Gorecki is a great song but also see if you can track down One by Lamb, it's brilliant. And I love underworld, Beaucoup Fish is a brilliant album.

Anonymous said...

Frankly, i prefer my lamb roasted with mint sauce and french fries on the side!

Nigel said...

Da nigga, my nigga. LOL